Wordsmith.org: Today's Word

Commentary, news, new ideas, links, quote of the day and much more

Today's Quote:

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Mystery Bug Identified


I finally got an identification for the strange bug with the gear or wheel on its back. It is a wheel bug. Why didn't I think of that? Here is some info. I pulled off bugguide.net.

They are beneficial as predators on other insects, especially caterpillars. They are larger sized true bugs in the family Reduviidae, genus Arilus - there are a bunch of photos in the guide here... http://bugguide.net/node/view/259/bgimage
รข€¦ L. M. Ames, 20 May, 2005 - 3:07am

1 comment:

Beatloaf said...

Thanks so much! What a unique looking bug. I can't wait to tell my son that it actually has a name. Please visit my blog anytime. I only update once a week or so because I don't have a computer at home, but you're always welcome. Again thanks for your help!

About Me

My photo
I live on the Pacific slopes of the Talamanca mountain range in southern Costa Rica. My adult children live in the United States. I have a Masters Degree in Gerontology but have worked as a migrant laborer, chicken egg collector, radio broadcaster, secretary, social worker, research director, bureaucrat, writer, editor, political organizer, publicist, telephone operator, and more. My hobby of photography has garnered some awards.

Blog Archive

Buttons